Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Responds to Breonna Taylor Protest In City

Amanda Cooper
September 25, 2020 - 1:54 pm
Atl Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms

(Photo Credit: Amanda Cooper/RADIO.COM)


Protesters stormed Atlanta Wednesday night after an ex-cop was charged in connection to the death of Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Kentucky. 
The demonstrators were outrage after a grand jury indicted former officer Brett Hankison on three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment for shooting into the apartment behind Taylor's home. After the grand jury declined to call for murder charges against any of the officers in the March raid that killed the 26-year-old EMT, protest ensued across the nation. 
The large crowd in Atlanta marched from Woodruff Park to police headquarters, and lastly, they made their way to the State Capitol. Once they arrived at the Capitol building, protesters came face-to-face with Georgia State Patrol Troopers. Some reports state that troopers eventually deployed tear gas to disperse the protesters. However, in a written statement to our news department, the Atlanta Police Department says that they did not use teargas during Wednesday night's demonstration.  

According to protesters, at least three other agencies at the scene of the protests, including Georgia State Protocol, DNR, and Atlanta Police Department. 
While speaking on V-103's Morning Culture with Big Tigger, City of Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, says, "As it relates to the City of Atlanta, we had eleven arrests, and mostly the people who were arrested were from out of state." Bottoms added that the city understands the emotional response to the announcement; however, the situation becomes problematic when the protest turns into chaos. 
Listen to the entire clip:

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced on Wednesday that former officer Brett Hankison fired ten times. The other two officers on the scene the night of the shooting were Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove. Cameron added that they were justified in firing their weapons after they were shot. They fired 22 shots, six of them hit Taylor, but only one of those was fatal. The attorney general said the investigation determined Cosgrove fired the deadly shot. 
Taylor died after she was reportedly shot during a botched drug raid earlier this year.