FILE - In this Aug. 8, 2018 file photo, Julio Borges, president of the Venezuelan parliament, arrives for a meeting with Ernesto Macias, president of Colombia's Senate, at the Congress in Bogota, Colombia. Borges, the exiled opposition leader Venezuelan authorities are accusing of directing a failed assassination attempt against President Nicolas Maduro, said Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018 that the arrests of two high-ranking military officers in connection with a thwarted attack using drones loaded with plastic explosives is yet another signal that fractures within the nation’s armed forces are growing and may now be irreversible. (AP Photo/Fernando Vergara, File)

Foe accused by Maduro says Venezuela military is fracturing

August 15, 2018 - 12:00 am

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — The exiled opposition leader accused by Venezuelan authorities of directing a failed plot to assassinate President Nicolas Maduro says the greatest threat to the embattled socialist leader may be his detractors in uniform standing quietly behind him.

Julio Borges once led Venezuela's opposition-controlled National Assembly and he said Tuesday that the arrests of two high-ranking military officers in connection with the attack using drones loaded with plastic explosives is yet another signal that fractures within the nation's armed forces are growing.

His comments came hours after Venezuela's chief prosecutor announced the arrest of Gen. Alejandro Perez and Col. Pedro Zambrano from Venezuela's National Guard as part of the investigation into the Aug. 4 attack. Their alleged roles were not described.

Authorities say they have arrested 14 people so far.

AP Editorial Categories: